As more and more millennial’s design their ideal living situation, decks are emerging as a must-have for the ideal home experience. Why is outdoor living all the rage among millennial (and beyond)? How do you design the perfect deck? And how do you maximise your space once you’ve created your low-maintenance, long-lasting deck?
Millennial Trends: Outdoor Living
You can’t go a day without seeing some buzz about the millennial generation: how are they impacting the job market? The environment? The home buying market? Millennials, born roughly between the early 1980’s and the late 1990’s, are known as a diverse, inclusive, and eclectic group who desire flexibility and whose leisure habits are different than the generations before.
Most notably, millennial’s are known to favour experiences over possessions. For example, they prioritise frequent travel, novel dining experiences, and the beauty of nature. In fact, millennial’s are more likely than any other age group to spend their time appreciating the great outdoors.
All these factors come together to make a social movement that we’re excited about: trends towards embracing green outdoor living, bringing the inside outdoors, and making the most out of patios and decks.
Millennial Home Buyers: Bringing the Outdoors Home
With this emphasis on experiences, good food, and the outdoors, it’s no wonder that millennial’s are bringing those values to the home buying experience — and fast. In fact, millennial’s are the biggest group of home buyers on the market.
Another study of millennial home buying trends showed that priorities have shifted from previous generations. For example, the items on their “most wanted features” list include a front porch, a patio, and a deck.
If you resonate with the desire to incorporate outdoor living spaces into your home, whatever your generation, there are plenty of ways to ensure a long-lasting, environmentally conscious deck maximised for your enjoyment.
Find Decking that Checks All the Boxes
Whether you’re a millennial or not, you can probably resonate with the desire to get the absolute most out of your deck. When searching for options, you might want to consider the benefits of capped composite decking. The right product should check all these boxes:
- Low maintenance. Don’t relish the idea of spending precious outdoor time maintaining your deck? Look for options that don’t require oiling, sanding, or sealing.
- Long lasting. When you’re making your dream deck, you want to be creating an investment that will last. Use decking that promises a 25-year lifespan so you can enjoy your deck for years to come — and raise the value of your home in the long run.
- Cutting edge technology. Look for products that utilise the latest in technology, like Capped Composite Decking that’s made to be stain, fade, and decay resistant.
- Mould Resistant. Nobody wants to have to worry about their outdoor living areas attracting dangerous and unsightly mould spores. Seek an option that’s mould-resistant when you’re making your choice.
- Environmentally conscious. Millennial’s are one of the most environmentally-conscious generations in history. But whatever your generation, you can probably agree that seeking environmentally conscious options — like NexGEN’s decking made from recycled materials — is the right choice.
- Aesthetically pleasing. At the end of the day, you still want a beautiful deck that you’re proud to show off to your friends and family. Look for decking that embraces the natural colours and textures that create a gorgeous deck.
Maximising Deck Space
Now that you’re thinking about how a deck can change the game for you, it’s time to plan how to maximise that space. Whether you have a small deck area to utilise — or you simply want creative ideas to make the space as functional as possible — here are some of our favourite ideas.
Truly, this is the most pivotal action you can take to ensure you’re maximising your deck space. Think about every aspect of the space. Is it in a shady spot — or will it require you to build in shade? Do you have space for a grill, or would you need to expand the space to accommodate your lifestyle? Do you have adequate railings to keep your guests and small children safe? Taking thorough inventory of your deck space means you’ll furnish it correctly from the start and adequately address anything that needs work.
Think About Lighting
When it comes to maximising deck space, you have to think about how you can get the most enjoyment out of your deck each day. By focusing on outdoor lighting, you can extend the use of your deck way out into the evening hours so that you’re getting the most out of your investment. Adequate outdoor lighting makes spaces feel safer, brighter, bigger, and more open.
Save Space by Going Vertical
Don’t have a tonne of room on your deck, but love the idea of creating a botanical wonderland on your deck? Consider vertical gardening. You can grow plants, vegetables, herbs, and flowers in sleek vertical spaces to truly bring your deck to life — while saving valuable space for other elements of your perfect deck.
Comfy Furnishings — in the Right Spot
Don’t shy away from outfitting your deck with comfy furniture that your family and friends will love to lounge on. However, try to shop for furniture that’s not overly bulky, and take measurements of your deck space beforehand. When you do put furniture in, try to utilise the corner spaces of the deck so that you can leave more open space for guests.
Shower on the Deck
Yes, you read that right. If you want to take your deck space up a notch — and truly get the most out of outdoor living — then the shower on the deck trend may be right for you. Reap all the benefits of this environmentally conscious, convenient, and healthy way to make the absolute most out of your deck space.
Outdoor Living is Here to Stay
Millennial or otherwise, you’re probably part of the growing proportion of home owners and home buyers who prioritise outdoor living space in the home. At NexGEN Decking, we offer a variety of low maintenance, waterproof, environmentally-sound decking options for discerning home owners. Interested in learning more? Contact us today!